When it comes to managing your fleet, nothing matters more than keeping your drivers and cargo safe. While collisions will happen, a Safety Awareness Program can help dramatically reduce their frequency and severity.
How do you create a successful Safety Awareness Program? Is your program engaging enough to help your employees retain the information? Does it encourage drivers to practice and support the safety measures being implemented?
Here are some strategies you can use to make your Safety Awareness Program a success both in the classroom and behind the wheel:
SAFETY PROGRAM BASICS
While every Safety Awareness Program may be a bit different, ensuring its success all starts with the same basic actions:
- Establishing clear goals and objectives early on.
- Having management demonstrate direct and visible support.
- Structuring training sessions to encourage active participation from drivers.
- Providing access to comprehensive and varied learning materials.
- Implementing effective investigation and incident follow-up methods.
Safety programs are an ongoing process of learning, feedback, and adjustment, so don’t be discouraged if it takes time to develop something to best serve your fleet. If you’re feeling stuck or just need some direction, our partners at Travelers created a handy Roadmap to Transportation Safety Management to help you find your way. Also, their Tips for Creating a Safety Awareness Program are a great in-depth view on the subject and could be your next source of inspiration.