2017 came to a close as the costliest wildfire season in California history. The Thomas fire burned into 2018, leaving in its wake 281,000 acres of charred earth and solidifying itself as the largest recorded wildfire in the state’s modern history. A year that started with the encouraging end of a four-year drought transitioned to one marred by destruction, displacement, and loss of life.
Currently, Cal Fire has totaled the acres burned in 2017 at over 1.4 million and the structures lost at over ten thousand. These staggering numbers remind us that no one is immune to catastrophe. Communities that in the past had been safe from wildfire were forced to flee and in some cases were left with no homes to come back to. In spite of our best plans, natural disasters can impact our lives in ways we never imagined.
Families often have good homeowners policies in place. But what many people don’t know is that there are additional features available that—if disaster strikes—can make a critical difference in both the overall impact of the wildfire and the experience for the family during and after the event.
Homeowners insurance is typically sold as a one-size-fits-all product, and many homeowners do not take advantage of additional features that provide advanced wildfire protections for their property. Marsh & McLennan Insurance Agency works with several insurance carriers that offer complimentary wildfire mitigation services for insured homes with a rebuild value of $1 million and above.
Available features include:
ADVANCED FIRE PREVENTION
- Wildfire hazard assessment and prevention strategies.
- Outdoor perimeter sprinkler systems.
ACCELERATED PROPERTY PROTECTION DURING A FIRE
- Private firefighters who are deployed to protect your home if a wildfire is approaching.
- Use of fire-blocking gel if a fire is imminent.
- Removal of combustible materials and potential projectiles to help block the spread of an active fire.
- Professional removal and storage of high value personal property.
CARE OF YOUR FAMILY AND PETS
- Accommodations for your family and pets if evacuation is required.
If you would like to learn more about these advanced wildfire protections, or if you would like us to review your policy to make sure you have the best possible coverage, click the button below.